The famous city of Split is preparing to become the epicentre of scientific discourse and innovation as it hosts the 2nd French-Croatian Blue Biotechnology Day. This event, scheduled for Monday 30 October 2023, will take place at the Faculty of Science, Ruđera Boškovića 33, in the Amphitheater A01.
The event is organised by Ambassade de France en Croatie, the Ruđer Bošković Institute, the BioProCro Centre of Excellence, the Faculty of Chemistry and Technology of the University of Split and the Faculty of Science of the University of Split.
Innovative minds meet at the 2nd French-Croatian Blue Biotechnology Day
After opening introduction, this year’s conference is not only a celebration of the deep-rooted cooperation between French and Croatian scientists, but also fertile ground for future breakthroughs and joint projects in marine biotechnology. The programme is a mix of scientific presentations, incisive discussions and excellent networking opportunities carefully crafted for the crème de la crème of researchers, industry experts and academics in the field of biotechnology.
The event kicks off at 09:30 with an opening ceremony that quickly transitions into the keynote presentations that shed light on the nuanced field of algae processing and the fascinating role of algae in gastronomy. These presentations will be led by none other than Pi Nyvall Collén of Omix Group and Jean Paul Cadoret of Algama, both figureheads in their respective fields.
After a short coffee break and a leisurely exchange, the gathering will be treated to insights into the bioactivity of the Adriatic’s endemic macroalgae, presented by Sanja Babić of the Ruđer Bošković Institute. Božidar Šantek from the University of Zagreb will explain the diverse properties and untapped potential of microalgae.
The highlight of the event is undoubtedly the roundtable conference, which will start at 12:30. Entitled "Blue Biotech in Croatia" and moderated by Marin Roje of the Ruđer Bošković Institute. This panel will host renewed scientist and experts: Pi Nyvall Collén, Jean Paul Cadoret, Vida Šimat from the University of Split, Božidar Šantek and Ivan Župan from the University of Zadar, who will discuss the prospects and development of the burgeoning marine biotechnology sector in Croatia.
This conclave is a beacon for professionals, scientists and newcomers to the field of marine biotechnology, inviting them to broaden their horizons, forge relationships with the doyens of the industry and spark future partnerships. With a mix of debates and pragmatic applications, the event will boost joint Franco-Croatian cooperation in blue biotechnology.
- 09:30 - 10:00 Welcome & Introduction
- 10:00 - 10:30 Seaweed processing and applications, Pi Nyvall Collén, Omix Group
- 10:30 - 11:00 Algae and their biological functionalities in food, Jean Paul Cadoret, Algama
- 11:00 - 11:30 Coffee Break
- 11:30 - 12:00 Unrevealing the bioactivity of endemic macroalgae: News from the Adriatic Sea, Sanja Babić, Ruđer Bošković Institute
- 12:00 - 12:30 Microalgae - Characteristics and potential applications, Božidar Šantek, University of Zagreb
- 12:30 - 13:30 The Roundtable Discussion: Blue Biotech in Croatia, Moderator: Marin Roje, Ruđer Bošković Institute
- Pi Nyvall Collén, Omix Group
- Jean Paul Cadoret, Algama
- Vida Šimat, University of Split
- Božidar Šantek, University of Zagreb
- Ivan Župan, University of Zadar